• *POST HERE* to sign up to be considered for BETA participation!

• Interested in getting early access to a NanoEFI kit? Sign up here! Some pre-BETA news may be sprinkled in.
Our forum has moved to: FORUM.NANOEFI.COM

We've moved to a new forum software package (called Discourse). It's much better suited for our needs and better all around. Please spend a moment and register there, even if you're already registered here. I've posted new progress updates there to kick off new topics of conversation. I hope to see you there! Thanks!
Interested in getting early access to a NanoEFI kit? Sign up here! Some pre-BETA news may be sprinkled in.
 #975  by Captain Beaky
 Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:13 pm
Hi, My name is Mike Evans.
I run Paradise Engineering on the island of Madeira.
I am an ex Jaguar/Land Rover/Rolls Royce Aviation Engineer.

I have a lot of experience in EFI repairs/diagnosis/upgrade as part of my work here.
I retro fit Megasquirt systems to older cars, and I'm looking for something a bit more up to date and simpler to use on older vehicles
I have previously designed electronic Transmission control systems.

The particular project I am interested in applying this to is a Honda XR250.
I have one of the last of the older series of Honda XR250's, it a MD30 JDM model, from 2004, special edition with upside down forks, electric start and MD17E engine which AFAIK is the most powerful of this type of XR at 28BHP.
It has the dreadful "eco" carb - it's pretty bad. While the Power is good, It takes ages for the power to develop when you open the throttles - this is a problem when riding off road and wanting to "pop" the front up.

Very interested in a beta test - it could bring some life back into my XR.
 #976  by mike_o
 Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:33 pm
Mike, welcome! I too have an XR250 (now 280), an XR400 and a couple of XR600s. They all ride Mikuni pumper carbs, which essentially do exactly what you're asking.

Would be nice though to get this EFI show on the road. I also have an (experimental) Long EZ (O-235) begging for EFI. But I fear that this project is dead in the water...
 #977  by Captain Beaky
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:58 pm
I know the carb you re talking about.
The carb on mine is this strange Vacuum operated jobbie that develops great power when its open, but it takes a while to get there.
Quite like the carb on my old DOHC Ford Sierra, where the maximum opening was determined by the air flow through the carb.
The bike has the same kind of feel to the power delivery too.

I did try a carb from a CRF250, but it won't clear the starter motor! GRRRR.
I did find a pumper carb from an old CB250RS while digging around in the garage - I might have a play with that, but to be honest, if im going to be messing with flanges and throttle cables, I might as well go the whole hog and go injection.

I'm looking into a megasquirt setup also - I'm quite comfortable with the mega squirt - but I think it might be a bit of a squeeze to fit it all in on the bike.
 #991  by Maado
 Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:20 pm
Hello ,
i am Mahmoud dahma ,

i am web developer working mainly on making front-end and backend applications using (nodejs /reactjs) and many other languages.

I have a VLM 200 and i would be happy to be part of team / beta testing.

thanks is advance
 #997  by Thai Gyro
 Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:50 am
Hi Mike..Cap Beaky, I saw that you had a XR250...a good choice for power, compared to my water pumper CRF250L, which is a CBR250 engine. Mine had 18.1 dyno BHP with 5000 km on it. We built another version, still a 250, but with CBR300R cams and exhaust and some other goodies. Now just over 27, but have more plans.
The FI has a 38mm throttle body from a CBR. It actually measure at 39.1mm at the outlet, 42 at the inlet. Not a taper, but stepped at the butterfly.

My point in this....it's that there is no way you can improve power with a 24mm throttle. I have not had a chance to ask Travis, not seen dimensions on his 24mm, but it "looks" too long. My new throttle is 98mm total width. There are significant parasitic losses the longer the wall surface, so it could work, but better on a smaller engine. I am fairly sure that Travis took that into consideration, which is why he stated 125 to 232cc.

In my experiences, we have matched pipes and cams and ignitions to an expected bhp...or engine hp.

Like others here, I have different aspirations. I am doing 50cc to 100 cc Honda four strokes...all with carbs. The carbs are the weak element, along with the ignitions. The Nano will help reduce that/improve the power output! Oh, and I want to do a big twin as well. :evil:

Jay
 #998  by Thai Gyro
 Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:00 am
hojnikb wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:23 pm
Hopefully we get 50cc version next ;)

I have a GY6 139QMB scooter in dire need of an EFI system. :D :D
I am with you here! I have a 50cc Honda GX engine that currently makes maybe...2 hp. Engine power, not driven BHP. I believe it can do over 4. We are doing tiny surface drive boat engines for canal racing. Kids class, plus sales with canal fishermen. Use little fuel, still top 15km in a light boat. Fun!
 #1000  by Jimbob
 Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:58 pm
Hello
My name is Jimmy and i'm from Denmark.
I would LOVE to be Beta Tester on this project.
I currently own a Shineray XY200 (200cc GY6 (1P63QML)) ATV im building, plan is to boost is with a (Home made) Super Charger this year and would love to put on EFI with the Super Charger.
Also i own a 125cc Baotian Scooter Motorcycle (GY6 BT152QMI) which i'm also working on building it to be 180-200cc and Super Charger and EFI on.
I just need to finish the ATV so i can get the MC up on the lift and start on that one :-)
Originally i'm an Electritian, but been working with Mopeds, Scooters, ATV and Motorcycles for 30+ years.
I'm going to studdy Mechanical Engineering next year (if all goes well) and am in general quite technical minded and very optimistic and full of good idears, some may even think im slightly "mad" but i dont mind ;-)

Greetings from.
Jimmy Tretow-Loof, Denmark.
 #1001  by Captain Beaky
 Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:44 pm
Hi Jay,

I bought my XR250 just as the CRF was coming out in 2004/5.
The XR250 was no longer available new.
The choice was between the CRF250L, A CRF250R (and try to make it road legal) or an import XR250
My biggest concern was the amount of servicing that the CRF would need, given the amount of street riding I wanted to do.

So I bought one of the last of the oil cooled engined ones as a "new" grey import from Japan - but it is a more street setup bike than the full offroad XR250R. It came with the longer gearing ( I was actually stopped for speeding on it - 98mph!!!)
It thankfully has the electric start, basic USD forks and the full 28bhp engine.

BUT!!! the vacuum operated carb is dreadful - theres simply no immediate power when you suddenly open the throttle.
Hence the desire for an EFI setup.

I've looked into a lot of options - I did buy a 42mm Mikuni flat slide as an experiment, but a flatside won't fit the electric start version - the starter is in the way.

I'm considering this as perhaps an electronics package for a throttle body of my choice.
We will see...
Thai Gyro wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:50 am
Hi Mike..Cap Beaky, I saw that you had a XR250...a good choice for power, compared to my water pumper CRF250L, which is a CBR250 engine. Mine had 18.1 dyno BHP with 5000 km on it. We built another version, still a 250, but with CBR300R cams and exhaust and some other goodies. Now just over 27, but have more plans.
The FI has a 38mm throttle body from a CBR. It actually measure at 39.1mm at the outlet, 42 at the inlet. Not a taper, but stepped at the butterfly.

My point in this....it's that there is no way you can improve power with a 24mm throttle. I have not had a chance to ask Travis, not seen dimensions on his 24mm, but it "looks" too long. My new throttle is 98mm total width. There are significant parasitic losses the longer the wall surface, so it could work, but better on a smaller engine. I am fairly sure that Travis took that into consideration, which is why he stated 125 to 232cc.

In my experiences, we have matched pipes and cams and ignitions to an expected bhp...or engine hp.

Like others here, I have different aspirations. I am doing 50cc to 100 cc Honda four strokes...all with carbs. The carbs are the weak element, along with the ignitions. The Nano will help reduce that/improve the power output! Oh, and I want to do a big twin as well. :evil:

Jay

DEVELOPMENT UPDATES

LIKE AND FOLLOW!

WHO'S DEVELOPING NANOEFI?

Hey! - My name is Travis. I'm an offroad riding enthusiast from rural southside Virginia, and the owner and sole developer of NanoEFI.

It's taken a while to get to this point, and it's been an incredible learning experience along the way. Thank you for your interest and support!

Welcome to the project. Sign up and let's talk affordable EFI!

The NanoEFI Project

Travis @ NanoEFI