• 4 cylinder Lycoming aircraft engine

• If you'd like to help with compatibility for your engine, please post a few pictures and any technical documentation or manuals you may have.
If you'd like to help with compatibility for your engine, please post a few pictures and any technical documentation or manuals you may have.
 #422  by mike_o
 Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:31 am
Considering a quad controller set-up for my experimental aircraft. I imagine using 4 separate controllers, 4 throttle bodies, and four O2 sensors, dual, switchable fuel pumps (dual tanks), and 4x2 / 2x4 coils (2 spark plugs / cyl).

Basically identical, separate systems for each cylinder.

Anybody been down this lane before?
 #425  by Travis Nano
 Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:20 pm
NanoEFI supports dual cylinders for fueling (a recent development), so you may be able to use just two ECUs to accomplish your goal. Tuning and operation could possibly by synced wirelessly between ECUs in a master/slave configuration, though I haven't done this yet.

Do you foresee a problem with using one single larger throttle body on your setup?

Can you upload any technical documentation you might have on your particular engine model? I'll take a look.
 #428  by mike_o
 Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:27 pm
Travis,

thanks, yes a single throttle body (and a single TPS) would be a liability. In principle, the system should be able to keep 3 out of 4 cylinders runnings no matter which single error happens. My plane is a (fast) Long EZ, that spends 40-60% of it's time over the sea and that doesn't like to land outside a paved runway. Redundancy is king ;)

https://youtu.be/HNREdPRwRjs

DEVELOPMENT UPDATES

LIKE AND FOLLOW!

WHO'S DEVELOPING NANOEFI?

Hey! - My name is Travis. I'm an offroad riding enthusiast from rural southside Virginia, and the owner and sole developer of NanoEFI.

It's taken a while to get to this point, and it's been an incredible learning experience along the way. Thank you for your interest and support!

Welcome to the project. Sign up and let's talk affordable EFI!

The NanoEFI Project

Travis @ NanoEFI