• Gauging interest: NanoEFI SDK [Open API, Web IDE, and Remote ECU Burning]

• Discussion regarding features in the NanoEFI hardware, firmware, or Airtune client software

Discussion regarding features in the NanoEFI hardware, firmware, or Airtune client software

#8  by Travis Nano
 Sun May 06, 2018 11:05 am
Are you interested in being able to modify and hack the NanoEFI ECU with your own code?

I've been thinking about eventually implementing support for DIY'ers to make their own ECU mods and extensions. And I'd like to start gauging interest from the community.

Open sourcing the core isn't on the table, but we can achieve similar hackability for the majority of use cases through a fully documented NanoEFI Open API. The API would provide access to internal resources (system and sensor data, timing routines, control of outputs), allow you add your own sensors, relays, and make other changes that affect how the ECU operates for your machine.

Although I'm developing the core primarily for powersports vehicles, I think supporting DIY extensions will be very useful for people/organizations who routinely contact me regarding:
  • Off-site remote generators
  • Riding lawnmowers
  • Eco marathons and school competitions
  • RC Helicopters / Drones / UAVs (and other types of hobby vehicles)
In my mind, the system would take shape like this:

1. NanoEFI Web IDE (Code Editor)
I like the idea of a dedicated Web IDE with cross-browser support, that can be accessed and used anywhere there is an internet connection. And I think it would be a natural fit to support the Arduino "language" in such an IDE. That way, anyone familiar with the Arduino platform can hit the ground running (while of course referencing the NanoEFI API docs).

It would also be very helpful to add a remote serial monitor into the NEFI Online IDE as well, which would involve using the server as a websockets relay from the ECU to the IDE in your browser.

2. Cloud-based Compiler
When you want to test your code, hit "Compile and burn" in the online IDE to send your new code to the server for processing. Your code will be integrated with the NEFI Core, compiled, and a HEX file prepared for burning to your device remotely.

3. "OTA" Over-the-Air remote firmware uploads
OTA updates of official firmware is already a confirmed feature (and nearly working in v0.1.8). Right now developed so that you can easily maintain and update your firmware version without plugging in any cables or hassling with serial programmers. For the IT-savvy, the process is very similar to updating the firmware on your router at home or in the office. The NEFI OTA update service can be easily leveraged to deliver your custom firmware code produced in steps 1 and 2 above to the ECU.

So rather than spit the compiled HEX file back out at you in your browser as a manual download, the server will automatically queue a job for remotely and securely burning to your ECU wirelessly, directly from the server. This assumes that your ECU is on, connected to WiFi and the internet.

So no need to spend money on wired serial programmers, no FTDI cables. And no hassling with hook-ups. All online in a package that (in my mind) would be as beginner friendly as starting with an Arduino Uno, if not more in many ways.

Let me know what you think, and what type of machine or application you would see yourself wanting to develop your own modifications your ECU.
 #51  by Travis Nano
 Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:56 pm
LuckyLucky wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:06 pm
Would definitely be interesting to see if an open API would allow me to enable adding quickshifters to a motorcycle.
I believe that'd pretty straightforward to pull off through the API. Sounds like a pretty simple fuel or ignition cut.

I'm interested in hearing more potential uses. Got more ideas?
 #298  by StanZ
 Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:25 am
I would REALLY be interested in being able to mod the code to my needs. Things like a cold start injector and a priming button for small engines come to mind.

I have ridden in temps as low as 18F so priming and cold start are an issue for me. I have modified one setup to use a snowmobile primer and a switch to turn off the auto-enrichment control.

DEVELOPMENT UPDATES

LIKE AND FOLLOW!

WHO'S DEVELOPING NANOEFI?

Hey! - My name is Travis. I'm an offroad riding enthusiast from rural southside Virginia, and the owner and sole developer of NanoEFI.

It's taken a while to get to this point, and it's been an incredible learning experience along the way. Thank you for your interest and support!

Welcome to the project. Sign up and let's talk affordable EFI!

The NanoEFI Project

Travis @ NanoEFI