• Aug 2018: Roadmap and progress checklist

• Interested in getting early access to a NanoEFI kit? Sign up here! Some pre-BETA news may be sprinkled in.
Our forum has moved to: FORUM.NANOEFI.COM

We've moved to a new forum software package (called Discourse). It's much better suited for our needs and better all around. Please spend a moment and register there, even if you're already registered here. I've posted new progress updates there to kick off new topics of conversation. I hope to see you there! Thanks!
Interested in getting early access to a NanoEFI kit? Sign up here! Some pre-BETA news may be sprinkled in.
 #79  by Travis Nano
 Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:49 pm
This post is meant to represent my "vantage point" looking forward right now. This list gets us to the Alpha stage, the point that I'm able to finally install the system on a real-world engine and start refining things for you guys before BETA.

This list covers the broad strokes, and isn't exhaustive. As we move forward, other tasks will surely become apparent.

1. Finish the onboard ESP8266-to-AVR ICSP Programmer
The external programmer I've been using up until this point has worked great while development is still happening on my desk. However, very soon progress will move to an on-bike installation. I could use a laptop next to the bike for coding at that point, but that's surely going to reduce work efficiency. Most work isn't going to include actually starting the engine, so there really isn't a need to be outside for the majority of time spent on the system.

Finishing the onboard ICSP programmer allows me to continue using my full workstation in my office, burning compiled code to the ECU over WiFi.

2. Machine a prototype throttle body
My manufacturer may not be able to get a throttle body to me this month. If not, I own a small machine shop with old school manual mills and lathes, so I have the ability to machine throttle bodies myself. It'll be time consuming, but having a finished prototype sooner will help speed development along overall. I have the Aluminum 6061 stock ready, but will need to setup my machines and make fixtures for certain machining steps.

3. Finish Ignition Implementation
The ignition circuitry has been ready for some time. The hardware on the ECU is tested to be capable of driving an external CDI to beyond 30,000rpm on the bench.

I'll revisit this super old code from 2015. This "proof of concept" was one of the very first things I remember doing with an Arduino. We've come a long way since then. I'll make a few tweaks and integrate it back into the main loop.

4. Ignition test: Verify ignition timing with a timing light
I can't wait for this one. I love test light videos. I'll be sure to grab footage of the test at 240fps and post the video here. (y)

5. Implement a working PWM fuel pressure regulation routine
Reading the sensor works as expected, and the PWM output and circuitry works as expected. It'll be time to tie the two together at this point.

6. PWM pump test: Determine lowest possible pump current using PWM
We're using an off-the-shelf fuel pump from a CBR600. It's inexpensive and mass produced, easily available.

The difficulty? It's rated to draw 5a.

The GY6-150 is able to support a maximum of 5.8a at idle with a stock 6-pole stator. That leaves almost nothing for charging the battery, lights, etc. We're going to run into similar problems for almost all small engines.

My hope is that with PWM we'll be able to significantly reduce the average power demands of the pump. We'll find out.

7. Study and code Alpha-n and Speed Density Functionality
I'll add more detail here as I encounter issues and work out solutions.

8. Injection test: Verify actual flow rates versus calculated flow rates
Another one I can't wait for. I'm going to build an injection testing station. If I can avoid blowing myself up, we'll really be on the right track. Either way, it should make for a good video.

That's all I've got at the moment. I'll likely think of a few more lines to add. Post below if you have any questions!
Attachments
IMG_1239.jpg
 #82  by hojnikb
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:54 am
alby1976 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:32 am
If you use a CBR600 fuel pump, which runs at 5A, which as you know would be more than enough for a 50cc, would using PWM at say 20% result in the current draw after priming be around 1A?
Theoretically, it should. Although i wonder if there are smaller pumps, that we could use for smaller engines like 139qmb
 #83  by Travis Nano
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:59 am
alby1976 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:32 am
If you use a CBR600 fuel pump, which runs at 5A, which as you know would be more than enough for a 50cc, would using PWM at say 20% result in the current draw after priming be around 1A?
I'm concerned that at too low of a duty cycle, the pump may stall. If we can reliably get average draw below 3a, I think we'll be good and can further refine as we go along.
hojnikb wrote: Theoretically, it should. Although i wonder if there are smaller pumps, that we could use for smaller engines like 139qmb
I'm open to suggestions. I'm going to start a new thread on small pump options (y)
 #85  by Travis Nano
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:55 am
Aznbeast78 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:16 am
Is that a Grom throttle body in the first picture? It would be cool if we could run/tune the grom on the nanoefi ecu instead of paying $300+ for the Bazzaz or Power Commander V.
Sure is :) Grom support is planned. It was the Honda Grom community that convinced me to add ignition support to NanoEFI.

We need some Grom owners in here willing to help get information for me on some of the technical stuff. Although I have the TB, I need more information.
 #87  by Aznbeast78
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:42 pm
Travis Nano wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:55 am
Sure is :) Grom support is planned. It was the Honda Grom community that convinced me to add ignition support to NanoEFI.

We need some Grom owners in here willing to help get information for me on some of the technical stuff. Although I have the TB, I need more information.
Good to hear that grom support is planned. I've got 2 groms so maybe i could help out.
 #137  by Stevotivo12
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:37 am
Travis, I am a new poster on the forum and just discovered your nano-efi project this past week. Just wanted to say I am a big fan and if you need any help developing or testing this system for 150cc+ GY6 motors I have a stock 150 on my Met-Ruckus build and a 180cc ported/polished taida race engine with titanium valve springs and retainers. I can test or do dev. work on either one and would be happy to contribute to this project, let me know if there is anything I can do. I am also conveniently located in Virginia Beach, VA.

DEVELOPMENT UPDATES

LIKE AND FOLLOW!

WHO'S DEVELOPING NANOEFI?

Hey! - My name is Travis. I'm an offroad riding enthusiast from rural southside Virginia, and the owner and sole developer of NanoEFI.

It's taken a while to get to this point, and it's been an incredible learning experience along the way. Thank you for your interest and support!

Welcome to the project. Sign up and let's talk affordable EFI!

The NanoEFI Project

Travis @ NanoEFI