• Fuel pump, general question.

• Discussion regarding features in the NanoEFI hardware and firmware

Discussion regarding features in the NanoEFI hardware and firmware

#96  by alby1976
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:47 pm
I know that factory EFI systems have the fuel pump intank, which also helps with the cooling of the fuel pump, but with the nanoEFI, i'm assuming that the fuel pumps will be external for ease of conversion.
Is my thinking correct, or will the pumps somehow have to be internal?
 #98  by Travis Nano
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:52 pm
Good question. The pump is meant for use in-tank, but I plan to convert it for use externally. You're right, for making the install easier (y)

My hope is that there will be enough range in usable duty cycle with PWM, between motor stall on the low side and potential heat issues on the high side.
 #103  by alby1976
 Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:19 pm
Just did a google for: external 12v fuel pump motorbike', and quite a few results.
Here is an aus ebay link to one:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302810832191

1.2-1.4A, flow of 50-55L/hr, no pressure description.

What sort of flow/pressure would be needed? Guess it depends on application/size of motor/power output.

A quick look for a replacement fuel pump for my 2008 Yamaha WR250R show one with stats of:
12v
operating pressure: 43bar
flow rate 90LPH/43PSI
Current 5.0A/43PSI
PVR Activation: 15-90PSI

Although there must be a typo, as another listing states: 3 - 4.5 bar, which sounds a bit more normal. 3 bar being 43.5 PSI
 #107  by Travis Nano
 Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:05 pm
We need 3 bar on the pressure. The WR250R pump looks good depending on price, it seems on paper to be roughly equivalent to the CBR600 pump.

My hypothesis on limiting current may turn out to be incorrect. Pumps rated at 5a may simply draw 5a at 43psi no matter the flow rate. We'll test, find out, and go from there :)
 #113  by alby1976
 Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:52 pm
Looks like the 5A pumps are going to be what is needed, all the lower rated current pumps aren't going to put out enough pressure.
Hopefully something like 50% duty cycle will lower current needs and still get the desired effect.

Googling inline 12v fuel pumps gave better results, and I also found some heatsink 'sleeves', which may help pump temps. Removing the fan, so it is just the heatsink should be adequate, assuming that there is enough airflow where the pump will be placed.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Hobbywing-Coolin ... 1038981478

DEVELOPMENT UPDATES

LIKE AND FOLLOW!

WHO'S DEVELOPING NANOEFI?

Hey! - My name is Travis. I'm an offroad riding enthusiast from rural southside Virginia, and the owner and sole developer of NanoEFI.

It's taken a while to get to this point, and it's been an incredible learning experience along the way. Thank you for your interest and support!

Welcome to the project. Sign up and let's talk affordable EFI!

The NanoEFI Project

Travis @ NanoEFI