• NanoEFI DRZ400 Kit - Development

• If you'd like to help with compatibility for your engine, please post a few pictures and any technical documentation or manuals you may have.
Our forum has moved to: FORUM.NANOEFI.COM

We've moved to a new forum software package (called Discourse). It's much better suited for our needs and better all around. Please spend a moment and register there, even if you're already registered here. I've posted new progress updates there to kick off new topics of conversation. I hope to see you there! Thanks!
If you'd like to help with compatibility for your engine, please post a few pictures and any technical documentation or manuals you may have.
 #59  by Travis Nano
 Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:35 am
@LuckyLucky I'm interested in talking about NanoEFI DRZ400 kit. Are you game?
LuckyLucky wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:06 pm
Hey there,

I'm a medical device engineer with experience in Solidworks, rapid prototype manufacturing, machining, and board layout.

I have some basic experience with embedded programming, but only really in the Arduino space.

Currently in the middle of developing an EFI conversion kit for the DRZ400. There are already functional bikes with EFI systems up and running, so now the goal is to streamline the process so that anyone with a drz can relatively easily complete the conversion.

Three main targets to hit for the project right now:

-Custom machined flywheel trigger rings to be optimized for cheaper manufacturing.
-Currently running microsquirt ECU. Would like to evaluate NanoEFI as a lower cost alternative.
-Redesign the wiring harness to lower cost without compromising on ingress protection and durability.

All other parts are OEM parts taken from bikes or quads that can be readily found. There is work being done on building up a database of different bike configurations (throttle bodies, big bore kits, exhausts, etc) so that multiple maps can be made readily available.
 #117  by LuckyLucky
 Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:56 am
Travis Nano wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:35 am
@LuckyLucky I'm interested in talking about NanoEFI DRZ400 kit. Are you game?
Definitely game.

First up, "kit" may be a bit of a misnomer; it was simply the easiest way to describe it. The ultimate goal is to make available the capability of EFI conversion to as many DRZ owners as possible, so buying a kit of parts in a lot is likely not going to happen anytime soon. Likely a parts list (one that hopefully includes NanoEFI) with detailed instructions, good forum support, and several baseline maps for users to download would be the case.

I'm not sure if it is against forum rules to post links to other forums, but a lot of the groundwork and theory is laid out in thumpertalk. As it stands right now, the conversion works out to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500. While this figure is very high, there are a ton of cost optimizations that are being developed that would bring the price down. The goal here is to make the conversion competitive to the current gold standard of a Keihin FCR39MX carb swap which runs about $800 for a brand new carb swap kit. As it stands right now, the cost optimizations should be capable of taking it down to $1100-$1200 while also requiring far less specialized equipment to boot. Further optimizations (without accounting for the ECU) could bring the cost down to below the $1000 mark, which originally was the goal before I stumbled upon NanoEFI.

From the ecu perspective, NanoEFI could be a very good way to bring the cost well below the cost of the FCR39MX swap. The conversion as it stands currently utilizes a MicroSquirt ECU w/ harness for about $350, so NanoEFI would take a significant chunk out of the costs. The idea that an EFI conversion would be cheaper than a carb swap is just too good to not give it a shot.
 #118  by Travis Nano
 Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:38 pm
LuckyLucky wrote:I'm not sure if it is against forum rules to post links to other forums, but a lot of the groundwork and theory is laid out in thumpertalk.
It's absolutely fine. I'd like to take a look (y)

$800 :shock:
 #131  by LuckyLucky
 Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:23 pm
Travis Nano wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:38 pm
$800 :shock:
Yeah, I think Keihin slowed down manufacturing on certain carbs or something, and which caused the price of these carbs to skyrocket. The pumper carb traditionally was the only way to go if one wanted to increase throttle body size without losing out on engine responsiveness. EFI has the potential to surpass the carb on both.

There have been EFI DRZ conversions before, but they were built around the ecotrons kit:

http://www.ecotrons.com/products/small_ ... ction_kit/

While evidence of such is largely anecdotal, a general consensus was that the kit and the parts within were of questionable quality at best. Additionally, these kits lacked an accurate method of crank position, as it relied on picking up on a 2 tooth pattern on the flywheel. This lack of precision caused the converted bikes to have trouble running a smooth idle and had generally rough running anywhere below 4000rpm. So a few years ago, a thumpertalk user by the name of roleyrev went back to the drawing board and started from scratch with the intent of creating an EFI DRZ that would most closely resemble an OEM EFI DRZ:

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/12 ... ected-drz/

The DRZ400 platform essentially shared the same engine from the LTZ400 quad, which received EFI in 2010. Some parts are interchangeable, specifically the throttlebody (36mm) with its associated injector, MAP sensor, and TPS sensor. It is unconfirmed whether or not the airboots and manifold boots are swappable, but it is possible to use either 3d printed adaptor fittings or DRZ E-model airboots to fit the throttlebody to the bike. Crucially though, the LTZ400 flywheel does not fit in the DRZ bottom end (ltz400 bottom end does not fit in the drz frame either). However it did give an important detail: the crank position pickup was achieved with a 18-1 tooth pattern.

The original method for converting a DRZ flywheel was to machine off the stock two-teeth pattern on the DRZ flywheel, then to mill a custom flywheel trigger ring out of low carbon steel. The ring, milled with a 0.015" interference, was then heated in an oven then slipped over the flywheel. Since this requires about 60-80 hours of machining time, alternative approaches are being looked into. Right now, I am currently negotiating price points for a trigger ring part.

The fuel pump on roleyrev's bike is a 25L/hr unit which offers an integrated pressure regulator, which allows for simpler routing. However, if the calculations are correct, the pump is only good enough for 55hp. So while it would be sufficient for more mild builds (majority of drz builds), an alternative pump would need to be sourced for high power builds.

The stock petcock is a vacuum petcock, and does not have a port for a fuel return line. While the current method is fabrication of a custom petcock (steel plate with two steel tubes welded in), there is a good possibility the stock petcock can be readily modified to take a return fuel line.

The coil pack is replaced with a coil from a Nissan S15 to allow for sparkplug triggering directly from the ECU.

As I've stated before, the ECU is currently a microsquirt ECU. If nanoEFI could be used, I would love to be able to beta test for it, especially since from a development side I would only require an ecu and nothing else.

While I've hit most of the hard points here for the conversion, I'm sure there are some more details I'm forgetting about. Will post more as I remember.
 #147  by Albi62
 Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:39 pm
I fitted the Ecotrons EFI kit to my 2004 CCM 404DS Supermoto around 2013-2014.
It's fitted with the DRZ400E engine, the carb was swopped for a 42 mm throttlebody.

The base maps were very lean (I think for a 150cc) so spent a lot of time amending the tables.
Got the cold start, warm up etc all sorted and was tuning the upper rev range which was going well.

Suddenly when ever I revved over 6000 rpm it would flood and cut out, checked everything and finally came to the conclusion it was the ECU. Sent it back for testing but was lost in the post :| .

So I was toying with the idea of buying a new ECU from Ecotrons but due to other commitments (family, work, cash!) I didn't get round to it.

I'd like to do the job still (got all hardware bar ECU), perhaps NanoEfi would be an option?
Think there would be a lot of interest for a DRZ400 project considering all the bikes out there... ;)

Willing to do a fit and tune it (weather permitting!) What do you think :?:
 #149  by Tri
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:38 pm
Hey-
I am researching building a DRZ400sm Fuel Injection, and would be interested in a flywheel that has been cut/ringed for fuel injection.

What are your estimated costs?
 #179  by LuckyLucky
 Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:11 pm
Albi62 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:39 pm
I'd like to do the job still (got all hardware bar ECU), perhaps NanoEfi would be an option?
Think there would be a lot of interest for a DRZ400 project considering all the bikes out there... ;)

Willing to do a fit and tune it (weather permitting!) What do you think :?:
NanoEFI would definitely be an ideal solution for the elusive EFI drz. And you are definitely right, there are a ton of DRZ's out there and plenty of people willing to make the effort to complete the conversion.
Tri wrote:Hey-
I am researching building a DRZ400sm Fuel Injection, and would be interested in a flywheel that has been cut/ringed for fuel injection.

What are your estimated costs?
There probably won't be a "kit" that you can buy straight from me anytime soon.

Even so, if you are genuinely interested in completing this conversion, you will have to source a flywheel (or if you're daring enough, your own flywheel. Full disclaimer, I don't recommend to do that) and figure out how to machine off the teeth yourself. It is quite possible that you can do it with a dremel as long as you are careful enough to keep close to concentric.

The ring itself is still being finalized dimensions, pricing, and material. It is likely the part will be around $90 shipped, but there remains plenty of potential for it to go either way depending on the tariff situation.

In the greater scope, you can still work on the rest of the conversion. The bike will still run without the trigger wheel, just won't be as smooth. If done right, you'll be able to simply swap over a trigger wheel flywheel into your DRZ, change the teeth pattern setting in the ECU from 1 tooth to 18, and then tweak your fuelling map to take advantage of the increased resolution.

DEVELOPMENT UPDATES

LIKE AND FOLLOW!

WHO'S DEVELOPING NANOEFI?

Hey! - My name is Travis. I'm an offroad riding enthusiast from rural southside Virginia, and the owner and sole developer of NanoEFI.

It's taken a while to get to this point, and it's been an incredible learning experience along the way. Thank you for your interest and support!

Welcome to the project. Sign up and let's talk affordable EFI!

The NanoEFI Project

Travis @ NanoEFI