• 1953 Velocette MAC

• If you'd like to help with compatibility for your engine, please post a few pictures and any technical documentation or manuals you may have.
If you'd like to help with compatibility for your engine, please post a few pictures and any technical documentation or manuals you may have.
 #307  by Amish Warrior
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:55 am
I am interested in finding a way to do a Stand Alone conversion from Carby to EFI on Classic styled Motorcycles, given that Kits are made to fit Single cylinder Generators/etc that don't have all the "Bells'n'Whistles" of a Modern Motor.

I own a 1953 Velocette MAC. They are a very basic 350cc engine, Single cylinder, Magneto (ignition spark) powered, 15/16in (24mm) Flanged Carby, with a stand alone 6 Volt (lighting) power system.

I imagine that a Basic system could be built, given that:
*You could locate a simple spot on the Output shaft (or even the points system) to ascertain TDC of Piston travel.
*Most bikes are 6 Volt but a lot of enthusiasts have converted the Lighting systems to run on 12 Volts as well as changing from a Points setup to Electronic ignitions, so there is an easy reference point for TDC of each rotation.
*When the Bikes were first made (6 Volt), the Batteries required were quite large. Now days most use small SLA or Gel type Batteries that have 3-4 Times the Storage OR are 1/3rd of the size to do the Equivalent job as the Original, so it is possible to have a Small SLA battery connected to supply the EFI power...unfortunately that would be a Total Loss system unless a 12 Volt conversion is done.
*There is a lot of space to Accommodate fuel pumps/return lines/etc around the motor, Oxygen Sensor bungs can easily be attached to the Exhaust.

Any thoughts anyone or is it just a pipe dream?
 #315  by timhurdle
 Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:07 am
It all sounds feasible to me and the NanoEFI would surly be adaptable for that application. Its all a bit quiet from Travis at the moment but I hope things get moving a bit soon.

DEVELOPMENT UPDATES

LIKE AND FOLLOW!

WHO'S DEVELOPING NANOEFI?

Hey! - My name is Travis. I'm an offroad riding enthusiast from rural southside Virginia, and the owner and sole developer of NanoEFI.

It's taken a while to get to this point, and it's been an incredible learning experience along the way. Thank you for your interest and support!

Welcome to the project. Sign up and let's talk affordable EFI!

The NanoEFI Project

Travis @ NanoEFI